Total Pageviews

Monday, March 5, 2012

Where did this backbone come from?

I was not sure about sending Rachel to school today.  She has a cold..basic congestion but her eyes, if you pardon the phrase, full of gunk.  Under the eye is slightly swollen, but she doesn't rub and the whites of her eyes..white.  The last sign that gives me the green light is the fact that she has no fever.

But all day, I wait for a call.  A call that says she is definitely sick, has a fever..come get your kid.  I get a call but it is very different than I expect.  And holy crap, I play hard ball:
(I see the 617 number..oh hell..at least she made it after her nap.  And selfishly after my lunchtime run.)
JCW:  This is JCW.  (Like I don't know it's them.)
Teacher:  Oh hi, Jude.  How are you?
JCW: (Let's cut to the chase.)  Is Rachel okay?  (I know she is..I can hear her laughing in the background.)
Teacher:  She is okay but I just wanted to give you an update.  I know this morning you said she had a cold but her eyes have a lot of discharge.  We aren't doctors here and don't think it's pinkeye.  But she seems to have a slight redness under her eyes.
JCW:  Does she have a fever?
Teacher:  No.
JCW:  How is her mood?
Teacher:  Actually she is in a great mood. She has been dancing all day.
JCW: (This makes me silently chuckle. Gross eyes aside, while I think Rachel will be genius, I don't think she got my gift of rhythm)
It is now silent.  She can't tell me to come get her because she isn't contagious and she doesn't fever. She wants me to offer to come get Rachel.  Still silent...I am not offering.  I can hear her squealing in the background.  This is like a verbal staring contest..and I am winning!
JCW:  I am getting her at 5:30.  If she spikes a fever or is acting terribly cranky please let me know.  (Holy Shit.  Where did this backbone come from?)
Teacher:  See you at 5:30..just wanted to give you an update.
JCW:  (While I won, I just got a late jab.)

I would like to drop everything and go get Rachel..nothing that I am doing at work is as important as she.  Really, even though some days looks like she is flipping me off, with her eyes, we are like two peas in a pod.  Jesus, and it's just a little crud..This crud will either clear up tomorrow or put me in the running for "Mother of the Year."

No comments:

Post a Comment