Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Am I now living in a Molly Ringwald movie? This mo'fo just forgot my birthday.

Let me state the obvious..today is March 24.  In exactly 3 months, I am turning 40.  If I were Ching, I would be getting stuff together for my big day, but I know he is not.  By no means is this a hint for someone to save his ass from what he did when I turned 38..but, oh, look at that..excellent segue.

(Flashback..scene goes blurry then clear..God damn, I think I really am going insane.)

The week that I turned 38 was June of 2010 and it was a pretty hectic week.  Two weeks prior, the Wangs had just closed and moved into a house that we dreamed about for several years.  Weeks up to the close proved trying because our neighbor, in our old condo, seemed to be more unbalanced than usual, and our agent was now acting like an idiot.  Needless to say, we pushed through, and our home was ours in a little cul-de-sac of a very desired school district in Newton.  So during my birthday week, we were still getting used to slight commute changes, stuff in boxes and various address/utility change crap.

Also during this week, something went awry at Ching's work.  Something about a marketing mailer addressed to a head honcho's ex-wife that was delivered to the current wife.  Ching was stressed and not believing in  any sort of portion control.  It was like taco night with sour cream, every night..

AND..to top it all off..I was 37 weeks pregnant (with Rachel).  You know how Rachel is with me now?  Think about what she did while she was inside of me..bouncing on my bladder and making me pee a little bit while I was at my desk or kicking me so hard that my lungs would vibrate.

So, Thursday, June 24 arrived--my day..the JCW holiday!  I will admit upfront that I was expecting something from Ching--my push gift.  Yes, I am a woman that likes push gifts.  (Roll your eyes if you must..) Six weeks prior to Laurel being born, I got my push gift at Christmas--it was a diamond channel band.  The timing for my second push gift was perfect..it could double as a birthday gift.  I really wanted something similar for Rachel.  Again, roll your eyes at my greediness..but after the nausea, hemorrhoids and sleepless nights, no one deserved it more than me.  Also these rings will go to the girls..way, way down the road... when I am cold and six feet under.

But..this was the timeline of the day when I turned 38--June 24, 2010.

7:22--Ching is in some sort of snit.  (I think he just read a work e-mail)  Laurel has scratched her leg with her own fingernail.  Ching tells me that we should really cut her nails soon..tonight. (Okay..why are you acting like a douchebag on my day?)

7:42--I drop Ching off at the train.  He barely says goodbye to me..and waves to Laurel.
(Are you freakin' kidding me?  Am I now living in a Molly Ringwald movie?  This mo'fo just forgot my birthday.)

8:30--I get to work and my friends, Gina, Meghan and Eric..greet me with a happy birthday and a big cup of ice.  (This was my craving when I was pregnant with both girls)  I say thank you and quickly mention that they are the first to wish me a happy birthday.  They seem stunned.  I agree but  I may get to toy with CCW..and I will wait and see.

9:15--I email my sister Jess--she loves this shit.  I tell her what is going down.  Then I specifically tell her not to bail Ching out of this mess (and e-mail him) or tell mom.

3:30--Ching is calling me..finally.  He asks me, albeit nicely, if I could pick him up at the train at 6:40.  (Sure. ..I can't believe this...)

5:00--So I leave work and my massive body gets into my car to get Laurel.  While Laurel is in the car, she sees a really big  partially eaten cake.  I tell her that my friends Gina and Meghan (Eric had nothing to do with this) got me a cake for..my..birthday.  Laurel is curious why Daddy didn't say anything.  (Yeah, I am too.)

6:40--Ching isn't on the train..I wait until 7:00.  I get a call.."Jude I am so sorry.  (Finally here it is..) "I won't be able to come home until 7:30--I will walk home from the train."  I don't offer to pick him up.

7:45--Ching walks through the door..again.."Jude, I am really sorry (here it is...but not) for having you wait at the train."  That's it.  Then he starts with the typical first questions that fill the end of our end day.."How was Laurel's day?  How was your day?"

CCW--Why are you looking at my like that?
JCW--I am telling you this because when you figure this out..the first thing out of your mouth will be why didn't you tell me?
CCW (looking perplexed)
JCW (Are you kidding me?  You can work magic with a spreadsheet but can't look at a calendar? Wharton, my ass..) Ching, do you know what today's date is?
CCW: Yeah..it's June twenty fooooo (his head hits the kitchen island)

I am sure that you can guess the mea culpa.  And you can also guess for damned sure that my push gift was absolutely spectacular.  June 24, 2012 better be pretty freakin' good.

No comments:

Post a Comment