Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I know sarcasm runs through the veins of my girls.

During the last few weeks, I have experienced a feeling of uncertainty.  I am dancing a fine line between letting Laurel express herself freely and telling her "to watch her tone, young lady!"  I am not sure when this fine line will get bolder but I do know, it will surface when we are in public with lots and lots of people.

Recently, I have heard this tone coming from Laurel. It isn't positive. With glee, she commands me to wait until she has finished her after school game as I am picking her up. I have heard her use the words "whatever" and "seriously".  She is two days from saying the word "duh", and it will probably be three weeks until, in the rear view mirror, that I catch her mouthing something  very bad and I threaten to pull the car over.

I asked her teacher if she has heard a sassy tone...if she has heard the exasperation in her voice or have caught her doing an eye roll.  Her teacher not only stressed how wonderful Laurel was during the day but how long Laurel's day is (because of early bird (before school) and the after school program until 5:30.) Regardless of what she is going to say, I am now pissed that I feel guilty.   I was told that perhaps Laurel just needs to act out because she just needs an hour or two to be a kid.  Holy Shit--that's awesome.  I am a freakin' great adult during the majority of the day.  Perhaps I can commit a crime during that one hour of the day when I just want to act like that psychotic bitch that I know I am deep down.  That is an excellent defense--Johnny Cochrane style.  Laurel can be a rambunctious kid..but she needs to be respectful.

I have hard time explaining tone to Laurel.  Unfortunately, I don't think her sass is malicious..quite frankly she may be mimicking me.  Perhaps that is the rub..I have to tone back myself.  I know sarcasm runs through the veins of my girls.  It is a given..I know they are going to be sassy but Laurel (and down the road, Rachel) need to know when it is appropriate.  Hell, a random crazy bitch could cut you if you don't know how to use your sass properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment