Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 25, 2012

I opened Pandora's box yesterday.

I opened Pandora's box yesterday.  I will take full responsibility of what this may mean in the future.  (Small voice..) I took Laurel to get her first manicure and pedicure.

I am kind of embarrassed to admit it.  I didn't get my first manicure until I was 22 (and quickly graduated to the Snooki route to acrylic tips soon after) and my first pedicure wasn't until I was in my mid-20's.  I spoke to another mom about this (that's right..outside the comfort zone.  Trying to make another mom friend), she was felt the same way.  She did, however, say that bringing her daughter was now a way for her to get a pedicure too. ( Are you freakin' kidding me?) I held my tongue.  This isn't a regular thing and Laurel will not coming with me when I need a little Jude time.

When we got to the nail salon, she was silent--just taking it in. (Oh crap..she is in her element.  JCW--what where you thinking?!)  I told her that she could pick out any color for her fingers and toes.  She picked several, had to play eeny-meeny-myni-mo, and then settled for a purple glitter polish. (Please don't ask me to get the same..)

I hope to treasure the look on her face during her pedicure for the rest of my life.  Laurel wouldn't sit back in the pedicure chair. She sat on the edge of the seat to see exactly what was going on..each treatment exuded this look of joy.  (Oh crap, I am so many degrees of screwed..)

While I was getting the same treatment, Laurel tried to prepare me.  (Apparently she thought this was my first time too.)
L-Mom..that's a bumpy lotion..it feels really good.  It's okay.  Seriously.
J-Seriously?  (She is trying to explain the salt scrub.)
L-Yeah, really..my legs are very soft.
J-Thanks..(This is so your bad..but good..but bad..I am very confused right now as a mother.)

Laurel's nails and toes look amazing.  Her nail beds haven't been soiled by nail biting.  They are perfectly long and rectangular..I look down at my hands. My nails look younger (sans purple glitter) than hers..

As we leave, Laurel looks at me and says, "Can we do this often?"  Oh Christ..there are children that can bat their eyelashes and get everything.  Some kids know that it's physical..hugs and kisses to get everything.  My kids can get everything by using an "older" word and use the word properly.  I didn't realize that Laurel knew the word "often"..I am putty at this point.

"Laurel..this was a very special day..for both of us."  (She had no idea...)

No comments:

Post a Comment