Total Pageviews

Friday, March 9, 2012

When Ching looked and talked to my mom..that was me, 21 years from now.

Tonight are the semi-finals of the Big East tourney.  (If you didn't know this about me, I am a UConn grad.  UConn won the Big East tournament seven times, NCAA National title, 3 times.)  While this tournament is some of the best match-ups seen in the NCAA's, 12 years ago today, there was a different match up.  My mom and Ching were meeting for the first time.

I was completely blissful during this time..walking on a cloud, farting rainbows and dotting my i's with hearts.  But there was a slight anxiety about this meeting that could have diminished my bliss.  They both meant the world to me and I just wanted them to like each other.  I knew this man was going to be the one to share my life and build a family.  My mom isn't one to hold back and neither is Ching.  If they didn't like each other..I would have been screwed.  Also this meeting gave Ching the ability to look into the future.  Essentially, when Ching looked and talked to my mom..that was me, 21 years from now.  If he didn't like the present, he certainly wouldn't like the future.

When I finally took him home to Westbrook, we did not stay over at my mom's.  There were way too many anxious sticking points..making awkward conversation with bed head could be avoided for now..we stayed at the Marriot for the weekend. (While Ching does want me to brag about our stay, I will refrain. You can thank me later.)

The first dinner was fine and was at a very casual restaurant.  Nothing bad happened to the point where my mom would rush home, call my sister and then four of her besties to tell them that I was dating a turd.  But there was no connection yet either.  Neither Ching nor my mom would fake it and act like the other's new best friend.  But they were honest with each other.  At one point my mom was kind of joking with the fact that she needs to be brutally honest.  If she holds it in, she will get a headache.  Ching responded, "that's convenient."  (Oh snap, are you kidding me?  Wow!  He could hold his own!)

The connection happened the next night when we were at my mom's house for dinner.  A couple who are still very good friends came over as well.  (I really needed the buffer. The liquor helped too.)  The dinner was going to be followed by 25 of my mom's A list coming over for a "spring get together".  While casual, it had the feel of "Hey let's check out Jude's boyfriend. Holy Christ, this has been a long time coming".  My mom served lasagna, rolls and salad for dinner.  But for dessert she made an apple pie because I told her it was Ching's favorite.  He ate the piece that he was served and rather than be embarrassed to ask for a second piece or have me get it, he simply said "Lori, may I have another piece of pie?"  I have never seen my mom move quicker than she did to get another piece of the pie that she had made just for Ching.  That pie was all it took to bond my mom and my man, Ching.  I am very grateful for that pie.

To this day my mom always makes the same pie when the Wangs come to Westbrook.

No comments:

Post a Comment