Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 4, 2012

As Laurel grows, I just unroll-makes sense to me.

On Saturday morning, prior to Laurel's dance class, I had to repair her leotard.  It wasn't a rip near a seam.  It was a hole right in the front..apparently she tried to cut the tag and ended up with a hole about the size of an edamame bean.

How am I supposed to fix this?  Let me re-phrase, how am I going to fix this and make it look acceptable?  Part of me wanted to toss the leotard and buy a new one.  Not only was it too late to do this (dance class starts in less than an hour)  but that would be utter bullshit..and wasteful.  And my mom could sew up a storm--both fixing and sewing from scratch.  How come I didn't get this trait?

On several occasions she made clothes and costumes.  When I was in the 5th grade she made me a blazer.  I don't know what is more shocking to me--how well the blazer was made or the fact that in the 5th grade, I wanted to wear a blazer.

If Laurel's pants are too long, I roll them.  But when I was little, my mom would have me stand on the kitchen table in stocking feet, and pin up my pants.  She then would sew them with enough slack so they could be let down as I grew.  As Laurel grows, I just unroll-makes sense to me.

I grew up with a sewing machine in the house.  A couple of times, I would try a project or two with not the best success.  A sewing machine would look like a fake period piece in my home like those rotary phones they sell at Pottery Barn.  I am surprised they don't sell decorative machines.

The leotard looked okay after I was done with it.  Thankfully, it was black.  But it took a really long time.  I asked Ching where my motherly sewing skill was..he just looked at me and said I had other skills..which made me feel both stupid and strangely dirty.  (My mother who was first basking in the compliment of her motherhood skills is now covering her eyes, screaming too much information.)

I am pretty sure he is just talking about my ability of finding a good tailor on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment