Total Pageviews

Friday, March 23, 2012

I am so falling off this bike! Focus, JCW..gather the Wang Family Focus!

Monday through Friday, I run three miles on the treadmill at lunch.  During the last few weeks, I have been kind of a wuss on Fridays..the treadmill isn't on an incline..perhaps I don't go as fast and this needed to stop.  I needed to push myself..God damn it!  There was a Friday spin class that peaked my interest for several weeks but I was hesitant.  Crap..I was afraid.  Group classes aren't my thing.  I avoid classes..I like the solitude of running like a hamster on a treadmill..listening to loud angry music or show tunes (I am a renascence woman).

But with this, I wasn't going to be alone. The cons of going into this class started to stack up. I didn't know what I was doing and I was afraid I was going to fall off the bike..(worse yet, semi-fall and the pedal ripping into my left leg.  I would have to do one of those "Oh, I am fine" when it freakin' hurt like hell.)

But son of a bitch..I am in shape!  I can do this..I look awesome in my non-mom jeans.  And the way the Friday work outs were going, perhaps, I wouldn't be able to fit in those jeans.

So, God, helped me, I signed up.  But I did some research.  I checked the sign up list (you know, being a lurker and all).  I found some ladies that I knew that I could ask about spinning etiquette:  was there a certain bike that was off limits, unspoken rule, secret handshake?  I pride myself on being prepared..but really anyone would want to prepare to avoid looking like a freakin' jackass.  I was also told to avoid shorty shorts because they may illicit some comments..thankfully at my age, I don't own any.

I was really nervous..I was pitting down to my socks even before I got my bike.  (Note to self..better deodorant next time.)

So we start..Holy shit-no one told me about the positions!  Are you kidding me?  My hands are really sweaty, I am so falling off this bike!  Focus, JCW..gather the Wang Family Focus!

Then the instructor yells something that ignited something in me:

Push, push, push, push, push!..(said in about 3 seconds.)

Holy Crap..I know this chant!  This is an OB nurse chant..I did this..I gave birth twice.  With Rachel, there was no epidural---I know I have mentioned this before..and I will countless times until the day I die.  I kept telling myself that.. willing the adrenaline to pump through me.  (Of course the Rhianna helped too.)

I actually felt sweat dripping off my nose--this has never happened to me.  I am tired but not winded...I feel good.  But, I am not going to lie..I kept looking at that freakin' clock..but I pushed through just like I did with Laurel and Rachel (absolutely no pun intended).  I felt amazing, like Xena the Warrior Princess..metal bra and all.

When I got off the bike, I was praised (the instructor praised me!!) and secretly I was so satisfied and proud.  All I could do was keep to myself..(and mentally starting this entry). My legs were shaking like jelly, exactly the same feeling I had after Rachel was born.  Granted after Rachel was born, I was offered a lovely painkiller..no goodies like that after this class.

I am definitely going back..but with some good bike shorts this time.  Similar to childbirth..well, you know.  There may be a sitz bath in my future.

(Thank you L, C, S, J and the woman next to me that helped me with my bike.  Really, Really..thank you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment