Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 4, 2012

"Really, Laurel? Then how do you explain chicken nuggets?"

Every now and then Laurel will astound me by something that she has said or done.  My reaction is of either "She is related to me!"  or "Where the hell did she come from?".  Let me give you some of my favorites about my girl Laurel.

Last night, she was panicked because she couldn't find her plastic squishy bracelet that she got at the dentist's office.  (Fill a cavity, get a prize--that makes all the sense to me.)
"Laurel are you talking about the yellowy, green bracelet?"
"Actually, Mom, it's chartreuse."
ALL MINE!

Then there was dinner this week.  One night, she was eating the standard pasta or mac and cheese. She looks over and sneers at my dinner.
"Mom, why do you eat meat?"
(Oh Christ--Before I say anything, let me tell you that I am eating a bone-in pork spare rib.  I love eating meat and I tend to like some fat too--ribeyes, spare ribs, etc.  If someone offers me anything "reduced fat", I politely decline and ask for full fat.)
"Laurel, I like eating meat.  It can be good for you."
"It disrupts nature"
"Really, Laurel?  Then how do you explain chicken nuggets?"
Not Mine--not only does she not like meat but she has no smart-ass comeback.

"Laurel who did you eat lunch today?'
"No one..I chose to eat alone but sat across from a teacher.  You know mom, sometimes it is nice to eat alone.
"Yes Laurel, it most certainly is."
MINE!

But then when we are somewhere like the grocery store and she is so pokey.  Perhaps I am just a little pissy because I have menial stuff to do..and she has nothing to do other than various lessons, art projects and cartoons.  Regardless, I like to move swiftly, with purpose.  I can't even put this in an anecdote..she is just so pokey.  Ching is kind of pokey too.  No need to go any further on that one. (Not mine..)

And lastly, I am watching Laurel play basketball in the cul-de-sac.  As she tosses the ball up to the rim, she immediately cowers away from the net and hides her face to make sure the descending ball doesn't hit her in the face.  Absolutely all me..

(Because who would want a ball in the face?)

No comments:

Post a Comment