Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 12, 2012

You remember "that girl" in school...

When I woke Laurel up this morning at 6:30, the first thing she said was "I get to see Paul today." (Oh Christ..)

(Let me explain Paul..Laurel's elementary school has a buddy program.  Fourth graders are paired with kids in kindergarten.  These older kids meet on Thursday morning for writing projects and math problems.  My stereotypical mind thought she would be paired with another girl..curses..no.  His name is Paul and Laurel is enamored.)

Laurel likes to look good on Thursday.  It is the only day when I can brush her hair.

But regardless of the day, she will frequently tell me if she has seen Paul.  She will tell me if she waved, gave him a random hug or got his attention during an after school soccer game.  Really?..Jesus Christ Laurel,..don't become that girl.

You remember that girl in school.  She was slightly chubby..hung on every word the gorgeous guy said..laughed too loudly..maybe glasses (Sally Jesse Raphael?) and didn't know about hair product.  Dropped desperate hints about any upcoming event and  perhaps she had a plain Jane name because at that point, her parents didn't give a shit.  My Laurel is not a plain Jane..far from it..I just don't want her to settle and she needs to play hard to get.  Her worth demands hard to get.

Even Rachel knows hard to get...At 17 months, Rachel will captivate an elderly 89 year old woman in the grocery store.  This elderly woman hasn't walked since '02.  Rachel will get this woman to hobble without a cane..do you think she smiles?..Ab-so-freakin-not...with a key jingle..anything?  No.   I love that about Rachel..even though I do not think she likes me..but that's beside the point and subject for a different day.

Perhaps I am jealous of Laurel..she has all sorts of friends, boys and girls.  She seems to love people (not like me..I am skeptical of all...would just like to be left alone with my book.)  At 4, Laurel had a boy give her chocolates at Valentine's Day.  At 5, she got a marriage proposal.  I think it's messed up that my immediate responses were earning potential and the size of the ring. C'mon people..you know.  Perhaps Laurel is going to be that girl at Valentine's Day that always had an admirer and always had a date for a major dance (for a lack of a better phrase..I never did..)

Laurel sees the absolute joy in everyone..but as a mom, I fear any potential hurt.  She is precious and anyone who doesn't see that..I will kick you in the freakin' face....

The solace that I have about Paul is that he will be a senior in high school while Laurel is in the 8th grade..and at that point, Mr Ching Wang will have bought a shot gun..

No comments:

Post a Comment