Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

So slippery and squirmy...

Beyonce and Jay-Z brought their baby Blue (okay, that sounds queer) home from the hospital the other night.  While I am sure the couple has help beyond extremes especially since Blue's nursery is as big as my house,  I couldn't help but feel scared for them.  I didn't want to leave the  hospital with Laurel.  I had no idea what I was doing during the day and the night, holy crap, I didn't want it to come.  To me, the sound of a baby crying in the middle of the night sounds so much louder than during the day.

Ching and I are smart, educated, well read people.  We read books about caring for a baby but it still didn't prepare or prevent us from always having to double team Laurel. Bathing and diapering was always a two person job..so slippery and squirmy.  Of course we thought we might break her. Everything we did had so much caution that I am surprised we didn't encase her in bubble wrap.  Every cry, cough, and poo caused alarm.

Learning what to do took so much time.  No book could have prepared us.  We started to have good experiences and obtained some swagger..but not without some laughter.

One night when Laurel was just about a week old, Ching yelled for me with incredible alarm about bumps on Laurel's chest.  I sprint to her side, panic seizing me:
JCW:  "Ching do you mean these two bumps on her chest?  Is that what you are yelling about?"
CCW: "Yes.  What do you think it could be?"
JCW:  "Ching, those are nipples...we all have them."

No comments:

Post a Comment