Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 14, 2012

I have a feeling they think I am just blowing ass down aisle 5..

Today is Saturday and it brings upon the dreaded task of grocery shopping.  I know what I need to buy and have a list..it's just the people getting in the way.  When I lived in Boston, I used a service where I could order my groceries online and then it was delivered.  Since now in Newton, I live a mile from Shaws, I think this service would deem me as a lazyass and extremely introverted (which honestly I think is okay but Mr Ching Wang would think that it's messed up.  Then he would offer to go and a small list that should cost $40 comes back as $85.  I have no freakin' idea how that happens.)

As a child I loved to go grocery shopping with my mom, but now, I try not to go with my girls.  I just want to get in an out..agile like cat.  But sometimes one or both girls are with me.  Laurel wants to help with everything..opening the produce bags (lick your fingers first) to putting everything in the cart. (no Laurel..the milk shouldn't be on the bananas).  She wants to push the cart..and that's a disaster--so many displays are so close to dying.  Then there is Rachel..she will sit in the front but turn and throw random shit out of the cart on to the floor.  A childless or old person thinks that what she is doing is cute.  Any other mom looks at me with either empathy or a "can't you control your child" look.  All four groups I want to flick off because I don't need this crap, I am trying to keep the family Wang fortified and just trying to get in and out with the supplies.

One issue that I have is the line of vision rule...if you break someone's line of vision, shouldn't you say excuse me?  I was brought up to say excuse me if you walk in front of someone looking at something that you are blocking.  But no one has ever said "excuse me" to me..(really..over several years.)  So if I am going down aisle 5 and there are 3 ladies looking at different cake and pudding mixes and I am going through their gaze.. I say excuse me.  But since no one has ever said this to me..do they really know why I am saying "excuse me"?  I have a feeling they think I am just blowing ass down aisle 5..

Most of the time, the nominal shit happens..Laurel trying to guide the cart and a Hormel display is taken out or Rachel with Granny Smiths and boxes of couscous all over the floor.  One Saturday I had to deal with a cross dresser.  First of all, I am totally cool with people comfortable within themselves.  (for example my blog)  What I wasn't prepared for was a man dressed as a woman during a mundane task.  I was so nervous about explaining this to Laurel, I wanted to make sure I did a good job.  The irony was the fact that Laurel never noticed him.  This man was donning a red silk chemise, rhinestone necklace and clip-on earrings, full make-up with white socks and sneakers.  He gave thought about adding a bra for support but didn't shave his chest.  (Personally I can't hate..shaving sucks).  As he is walking through the aisles and others noticing him, I can't help but think "what is Laurel going to say?'  She didn't notice and I was pissed that my worrying killed my mojo..my normal $120 spending for the week was increased to $150.

I hate grocery shopping because I don't feel that I am buying food..just crap in boxes that are 2 for $5.00.  But I can't think about that..I have places to go (Newton) and things to do (fold laundry)..yeah, here is my Shaw's card..plastic bag..and I am sending it down for pick up..

No comments:

Post a Comment