Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 28, 2012

And the music, holy God..the base? Rock the base

I had to answer some questions at work on Friday and give my birthday.  There are very few people at work that I know who were born around 1972.  This woman, asking the questions, tried to empathize and said, I am a '70's baby too--I was born in 1978.  I kept my disdain quiet--dude, if you can't remember the original release of Alicia Bridges, I Love the Nightlife or the one year when the President, Anwar Sadat and the Pope were shot or when Princess Diana got married then we are absolutely not in the same league.  I judged this woman not because she wasn't as young as me but I didn't think she appreciated the '90's, like I did.

I miss the decade of the '90's.  There are the obvious basics of the decade that I would like back..youth, continence, perkiness...  But the nineties were the true definition of craptastic--so many fantastic highs and so many crappy lows.  I was very lucky how this decade started and ended--it was a perfect package.  I was a senior in high school when I rang in 1990 and I had just found Ching in September of 1999.  

I am not going to dwell on the lows--I am looking for more readers not suggestions to up my Prozac dosage. But I will poke fun at myself for a couple of those lows..

During this decade, I placed a lot of emphasis on having a boyfriend.  Even in 1998, after cutting my hair dramatically short, when some family members thought I was now looking for a girlfriend.  I was lucky to fall in love three times.  My first at UConn, taught me the true meaning of "it's not you, it's me."  Meeting him in ballroom dancing should have been a sign.  Before you judge, this was 20 years before Dancing with the Stars.  Then there was guy #2 in 1995--his generic balding ass name I don't even what to mention because with him I turned into a desperate blathering idiot.  "Why doesn't he love me too?" (Oh Christ, JCW.)  And then finally Mr. Ching Wang--and you know how that ended.  This writes out smoother than the time frame of 90-99-- but there were several realizations and a lot of stupid mistakes.  Yeah, I am thinking of you, little man with big butt of '93.

Music was the absolute best in the 90's.  I wasn't about grunge.  I was about En Vogue, LaBouche, Salt n Peppa, Johnny Gill, Blackbox and BBD.  Anything that makes you want to say "that's my jam" when you hear it played. Who am I kidding?  I never said that..but it sounds cool.  And the music, holy God..the base?  Rock the base.

My fashion sense went from rockin' different colored suede skirts with coordinating silk blouses from the Express (1990) to starting to shop at Talbots (1999) because I liked the classic cut of the suit.  Oh and the hair..let's talk about hair.  My hair was very short twice in this decade and was grown out several times.  What marks the difference from the beginning of this decade to the end was going from crunchy to smooth. Granted it was easier to maintain crunchy, but I prefer the smooth.

I have many good friends from this decade.  Some I lost touch with but luckily was able to reconnect. There were some that just faded away and some that I lost (They didn't die. I just didn't like them anymore.)

I found my love of cooking too.  You know those woman who brag that their husbands didn't marry them for their cooking?  My man Ching Wang..definitely married me for my cooking.

I lived at UConn, I proudly lived at home with my mom and then I lived alone in Boston.  Regardless..while so hard, I lived as best as I could. And I am very lucky..

No comments:

Post a Comment