Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

Holy crap, shoot me now.

Last night I watched the movie, Contagion, directed by Steven Soderbergh (so you know it's good). It was one of those curiousity movies.. It was a movie that I really wanted to see but knew it would bother me by the end.  And holy crap it did..In case you are not familiar with the picture, it was released this past September with the premise of a pandemic airborne illness that is spreading incredibly fast-cause and cure unknown. The fact that Gwenyth Paltrow's character bites it right at the beginning was reason enough for me to see it.  But what disturbed me was how many people she was able to infect during that first few minutes of the film..and she cheats on her husband played by the lovely Matt Damon..very efficient that trollop.

As parents, Ching and I are pretty cautious about germs-Lysol wipes, hand washing, sanitizers, air purifiers, etc.  Young kids equate to 24/7 bacteria science projects.  We don't want the girls to get sick.  We can handle being sick--we have come to work sick.  (Which I know, the hypocritical spider-like web..I know..) but when they are sick, they can't go to school and one of us has to stay home with them.  Let me tell you this about a staying home with a sick child.  Most days I don't want to go to work but I certainly do not want to stay home with them.  Bodily fluids coming out from everywhere at unmentionable speeds..and then the crankiness.  Holy crap, shoot me now.

When the girls are sick, I use what is called a Family Care Day.  I will give you my definition as a parent.  A Family Care Day is a day from work that you are given to care for a family member if they are ill.  Someone without kids will define it as a free day.  I would give anyone my three allotted "free days"..in return they have to care for a sick kid (with the gross bodily fluids!)

I dread the call from school saying that either girl is sick.  First of all, I can't help but feel a little annoyed.  I am not a rocket scientist but I believe my role at work helps someone and I have things to do.  Secondly, the first thought  riddles me with guilt. (Yeah, there is an invite to Motherhood Hell.)  Thirdly, I know the school is questioning my mothering skills--was my kid really okay to drop off this morning?  I can feel the judgement radiating as I do the early, unexpected pick up.

Last year I went through my three days in record time.  Last winter, all the Wangs were getting bombarded with germs from every direction.  Since September, I am in pretty good shape.  (I am looking for wood to knock on..).  Laurel hasn't been sick once and Rachel only a half day.  Of course it helps that I scrub them down each day and dip them in sanitizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment