Total Pageviews

Friday, January 27, 2012

Flashbacks of getting through math on partial credit with each problem scream across my mind.

And it's Friday..another weekend is here.  I am frequently asked what I am doing.  Usually I just say nothing..My weekends are very similar..lots of errands and chores with Laurel's lessons thrown into the mix.  Laurel has several activities on the weekend.  Our goal of all the activities is to make sure Laurel isn't in front of the television.  We also want her to socialize with her peers..a lot of her friends went to the same pre-school or go to her elementary school.

There were activities that were a hit--tennis, dance, swimming, and math.  Yeah, I know, math.  Roll your eyes--I certainly did.  Ching's theory was that Laurel expressed interest in math.  When he was a child, he expressed interest in drawing.  No one ever picked up on it and he lost interest.  Since Laurel expressed interest in math, maybe we should give her extra math activities on the weekend.  This made sense to me until she had that freakin' homework...flashbacks of getting through math on partial credit with each problem scream across my mind.  God that sucked...

There are some activities that were a God damn bust...my favorite was martial arts.  Ching and I thought she would like the art of her peeps.  While we thought it would make her more assertive..really not so much..Laurel didn't like the yelling.  Apparently they had some transition activity of dodgeball..Laurel hated it.  Of course she would. She had inherited my fear of a ball flying toward her face.  I think you are an absolute idiot if you aren't afraid of a ball flying at record speed toward your face.

Then there are those activities that are in the middle where Laurel is just "meh" and collecting the trophy.  Yeah, that's right.  Every freakin' kid is a winner and gets a trophy.  I don't agree with this.  Every child is not a winner..there are those that achieve more, those who don't and those in the middle.  With soccer and t-ball, Laurel was in the middle.  She loved being there for the shirt, hat and for her friends.  That is really the drive of Ching and I paying hundreds of dollars to the Y.

Honestly, Ching does try to push Laurel a little bit.  Telling her to focus (and of course the activity end bribe)..Laurel does try to put on her focus face.  In a sport like soccer, she tries to look intense, focused.  But she lags behind the crowd--maybe afraid of the ball and all those people pushing and shoving for the ball. (I absolutely don't blame her..all those sweaty people.)  So with her intense face in the back of the crowd..my best 6 year old girl just looks like she is pooping..intense focused pooping...

No comments:

Post a Comment