Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 29, 2012

While growing up with my younger sister, Jess, I frequently was called "Ju-Jes-no, Jude"


Recently I have reverted to calling the girls "Hey!" and "No!" (Laurel is "Hey!" because she tends to ignore me or not pay attention and Rachel is "No!" for obvious reasons).  I just cannot retrieve the right name for the specified girl.  I know which kid is which--it isn't that bad.  But when I need to say their name in a pinch, I can't do it.  Right now I just feel lucky to only have two kids.

This issue seemed to pop up when Rachel started her Terrible Two regime.  While she turned two last week, this behavior of sheer stubbornness and the bull in a china shop persona started a couple of months ago.  She moves like a tornado and I usually have to yell her name to stop, put it down or get off.  Perhaps because my nerves are frayed, I can't retrieve her name so I just start with "No!"  This has followed to Laurel who just doesn't seem to pay attention.  So rather than doing a Laur-Ra-La combo, I just yell, "Hey!"  (While growing up with my younger sister, Jess, I frequently was called "Ju-Jes-no, Jude")

I thought I was going to avoid this problem giving them names not starting with the same letter.  Well that theory was shot to shit.  Nothing could help me, not different letters, sounds or even gender.

I know it is going to get worse with age.  (Another reason not to get a dog since someone is going to be called the dog's name.  I am putting it out there now.)  So currently, for my sanity, I try not to even use a declarative and they remain nameless.  I try to yell with my eyes as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment