Total Pageviews

Friday, July 6, 2012

Ching borrows some (gorgeous) chick's phone and I am trying to get shade from that lone tree.


As we celebrate a wedding anniversary this week, let's get down and dirty and celebrate the first Wang argument.  I tell this story because the outcome is so amazing and, forever, the state of Hawaii will be my fave.

Ching and I went to Maui for 12 days after our wedding.  Our days were beyond awesome.  Everyday we had some sort of activity that we planned with our biggest decision of where we would have dinner...fancy or casual?  There were so many beaches to visit...black sand, pink sand, rough or gentle surf, etc.  One day we went to what was considered a very natural beach.  There were no buildings around...this beach had sand, water and one tree that could offer shade.

As a side note, a little pop culture to consider.  When we went to Maui, the movie Blue Crush was released the year before we got married.  This surfer chick movie inspired an MTV reality series of surfer chicks that wanted to turn pro.  I loved watching this show because these women were so athletic and brave.  I wanted to think that I was the same.  I was convinced that I was taking surf lessons in Hawaii.  (Because, that's right...I could rule the surf.)

Back to the story, I am about to go into this semi-rough surf and bounce with the waves.  But...holy shit, the waves are big.  I turn, back to a huge wave.  This wave treats me like a little bitch.  I am rolled under water four times.  I finally get into air and realize that my knees are scraped all to hell and I have sand/gravel in every orifice.  My surfer dreams are dead.

But Ching loved the waves.  He was out there in the water for the longest time.  (And he looked pretty freakin' amazing.  Give me a break, we are newlyweds.) After seeing his young bride tossed like a rag doll, he decided that he should take his keys out of his bathing suit pocket.  He calmly put the keys on our towel on the sand.  When I realized that the sea wasn't for me, I went back to the towel.  I saw the keys and decided that having them just lying on the towel wasn't good so I moved them inside our bag  near clean towels that would probably be pulled out within seconds.

As we finally get ready to leave and gather our things, we realize our car keys are gone.  Ching and I are desperately trying to find our keys to get back to our honeymoon abode.  Not on the towel, but not in the bag.  Did they fall out when Ching pulled out a clean towel?  Needless to say this is the crux of our argument.  How could the wife move the key BUT how could the husband just leave it lying near the sand?  We even dig in the sand like we are searching for lost treasure.  Nothing...no key.

Neither one of us have our cell.  A bone of contention until I got my IPhone.  And let's assume this is the only bone of the day with this fight.

Ching borrows some (gorgeous) chick's phone and I am trying to get shade from that lone tree.  I am very pale.  Even with 70 SPF, I burn badly.  Any tan that I do get isn't really a tan...the darkness achieved are my freckles getting darker and deciding to merge.

Our hosts at the timeshare (that we were gifted as a wedding present) call a cab to get us back to our place.  We would call Alamo, explain the situation and get ready to pay a massive loss key fee.

Right before the cab gets to us and as the Wangs are not talking, we have to go back to our car to get the rental info.  As I approach the car, I am pensive and pissy.  (How could he freakin' blame me?  Is this marriage even going to last?  What a dick...  I don't care what he says, I am not giving back my ring.)  I open the door because we left it unlocked.  This car was a convertible.  If you want to take our stuff, just open the door rather than slash the top.

The key was in the car.  Really...someone found the key on the beach with the car description on the key chain.  This anonymous person went to the parking lot, found our car and PUT THE KEY IN THE CAR!  Hawaii is an amazing place.

Ching and I are astounded.  We stay and pay the cab that came for us and explain the situation.  As we get in our car and drive back, we are silent.  Ching then tells me that he doesn't blame me.  Wow...hit me in the face with a 2x4.  You don't blame me?  I calmly state that no one is to blame and we are lucky of the outcome.  (I, then, look for some liquor.  Be the bigger person JC newly W)

The squabble was ridic but the outcome was beyond amazing.  But a lot smaller than what we would face over the next nine years and for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment