Total Pageviews

Friday, July 13, 2012

I gave up cool when I started sporting double car seats.


The Wangs are a two car family.  We have a 2003 Corolla and a 2010 Honda CRV.  The Corolla has been paid off and our goal is to have this car until it dies.  (Ching likes to think that this will be Laurel's first car.  She has all ready told me it won't be as she turned up her nose.)  I like driving this car.  It has been dinged, rear ended and splashed with paint (you know from that stalker that hated us when we employed his estranged wife as our nanny).  I like the visibility of this car too, especially in rotaries and on the Pike.  The CRV is a lease.  It is okay but I don't care for the lack of pick up or the visibility.  I drive it in bad weather (when I have the girls) but if it's sunny and I am alone, I take my trusty Corolla.  I don't care how uncool I may look.  I gave up cool when I started sporting double car seats.

Yesterday, the Corolla needed an oil change/service.  Ching dropped it off while I was saddled with the CRV.  He also picked the car up, paid $66 and thought every thing was fine.

Not fine..but he didn't notice until this morning.  When he noticed, the girls were packed and ready to go (with him) in the CRV.   I didn't realize there was a problem either so as they are about to leave, I ran upstairs for some alone time.  Neither regularity nor peace and quiet are my friends.  But this morning I could feel like a new woman.  As I am about to settle in, Ching comes upstairs, yelling my name.  So I get up...hoping what he has to say will be quick.

Oh, it is not.

CCW:  Jude, the hood on the Corolla will not close completely.  The safety latch is holding it down but I can't get it to release to see the problem.
JCW:  (I can so take care of this.)
CCW:  So your options are this...
JCW: (Options?  I can take care of this.  Holy Crap, I have to crap!)
CCW:  I think the car is safe to drive...or if you want, could take it back to the servicing garage and hop on the bus that takes you right to South Station.
JCW:  Ching...I think I am okay.  I will take care of it.
He said a couple more things that just sounded like adult noise as if I am a Charlie Brown character.  I just want to go back into the bathroom.

Finally, he has left.  And finally I have a skip in my step and probably 1.5 pounds lighter.  While I go outside and check out the car, I know exactly what I need to do.  The car is old, just reach under the hood and unhook the safety and slam the hood down.  Of course, I was successful unlatching the hood but holy crap, is this latch rusty.  This is the problem.  But I still can't get the hood all the way down.  Oh man, I have to go back to the dealership that serviced us yesterday to get the hood down.

I don't want to go for two reasons.  First, I am wearing white linen pants.  Going into any sort of car repair environment with grime may not bode well.  Secondly, I hate having to explain myself to a mechanic.  I feel like they are about to call me "little lady" and blow me off.  The last time I got the oil changed, I was 6 months pregnant with Rachel.  The (Corolla) was overdue for an oil change for many months.  As I was sitting there scarfing down a couple of donuts, the mechanic brought me the chunky oil evidence to never do this again.  Really?  Anyway, since that experience was a boatload of shitty, I am armed with my service receipt from yesterday and my ultra defensive Attijude persona.

The men at the garage where very nice and explained what I knew.  The latch needed to be replaced (not today) but soon.  They got the hood down and while, perfectly safe, told me to leave the hood down or the same issue would happen again.  Easy enough...but oh man I have to explain this to Ching.  He will jump to a conclusion that will leave me stammering like a freakin' idiot and I will have to say everything twice.

JCW:  The car is fixed but the latch on hood is very rusted. Not today, but they suggested that it will need to be replaced.
CCW:  Jude, are you telling me the hood needs to be replaced?
JCW:  No...the hood doesn't need to be replaced.  It is the latch and cable that hooks the hood.
CCW:  What?
JCW:  (Are you kidding me? You kind of assured me that the car was safe for me to drive and you can't understand that ONLY THE LATCH NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.)  Ching, just the latch on the hood needs to be replaced.  It isn't defective, just old and rusty.
CCW:  Oh...Okay...we can discuss it later.

What the hell was that?  Just brush it off...  It's Friday, it's sunny and God damn, I am 1.5 pounds lighter.  I should make friends with fiber more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment