Total Pageviews

Monday, July 23, 2012

My words could figuratively tear the scalp off this kid.


I think I have to call the mom of one of Laurel's "friends."  I have talked about this girl before now.  She is the one that told Laurel that she met Katy Perry.  She is always trying to best Laurel.  While Laurel was telling her about summer camp, Laurel told her that she would swim twice a day.  Of course, Katy Perry's biggest fan told Laurel that she will swim three times a day.  Really?  Usually it is little shit stuff like this that Laurel will randomly mention.  I don't know why she hangs out with this girl.  This association didn't bother me before now.

A couple of days ago, Laurel was eating a little packet of cookies.  It was one of those 100 calorie packs (Ching is a big fan.)  Laurel told me that her friend told her that she needed to count calories and I should do this for her too.  Because I don't, I am a bad mother.

First of all, I am a big girl.  My words could figuratively tear the scalp off this kid.  The bad mother comment will slide.  But, God damn, telling Laurel that she needs to count calories?  I understand kids needing to eat well and stay active but don't tell my kid that she needs to count calories.  Her body image is sacred to me.  I want her to feel beautiful and confident and I am all ready dreading the day when she will not want to leave her room because she will hate her clothes, hair or skin.

I don't know when this incident happened during the school year.  I am not sure if it was recent or not.  So I am debating waiting until this little pain in the ass strikes again before I call her mom.  But then if I do call the mom, what kind of ramifications would this have?  Would the mom understand my point and communicate it clearly to her daughter?  Or would this girl torment Laurel even more?

So I lie in wait...And you know, I will blog about this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment