Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

When will that voice say, "Chill, Judith Chill"?


Tonight, I am just putting this out there, hoping other moms do the same thing.  (Someone through me a bone.)  When you are doing a simple task like folding laundry, emptying the dishwasher or making a lunch, do you look at the clock and say, "I will give myself (an arbitrary number) to get this task done?  Once I have established a base time, the next time I do the same task, I always try to achieve a better time.

As I confess this, I don't feel like I need to scrub myself raw out of shame but I do feel a little crazy.  Why the hell do I do this?  I am not rushing to get to something fun.  More likely than not, I am just getting to another task like getting Laurel another snack.  This trait is starting to permeate my entire life:  when I commute; trying to get through a list at work or even just changing my clothes at the gym.

Currently I call it my "Run Judith Run Syndrome".  My daughters watch a cartoon, Phineas and Ferb.  It is a very good, creative cartoon about two boys that are trying to get the most out of their summer vacation.  Each day they create something new or do something incredibly fun and out of the ordinary.  One day they decided to create these lighting fast shoes.  The first prototype were faulty and didn't stop.  While they put these aside and created better ones, their older sister Candace (who is trying to bust them to their mom)  put them on.  She then would race through from task to task, unable to stop.  All the while, there was this background track saying, Run Candace Run.  It was a creepy robotic voice.  Anyway, when I try to go from task to task with more speed, I hear that voice saying Run, Judith Run.

When will that voice say, "Chill, Judith Chill"?  Jesus Christ, not only is this insane but I certainly am not going to go around bragging that I can empty my dishwasher in 4 minutes, flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment