Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sakes alive..my world expanded!


Recently, I celebrated Rachel's second birthday.  But something also happened two years ago around the same time that probably saved the Wang marriage.  I was gifted the IPhone.

Prior to getting this phone, I never charged or even turned on my cell phone.  If there is anything that would bug the piss out of Ching Wang, it was this.  When he couldn't get in touch with me on that random occasion, he would go over the deep end.  The verbal onslaught that would ensue...of course, more verbal crap from him; more eye rolls from me.  I hate talking on the phone.  I avoid it outside of work because at work, I am on the phone all the time.  The cell phone that I had was just a phone and I was sure as hell not going to use it.

But there was one device that was always charged:  my Ipod.  You never know when you could have an opportunity to listen to music or play Tetris.  I was on a flight back in 2004 and I sat next to a man with an Ipod.  I had never seen one that close and I was so intrigued that I went out of my comfort zone and asked him about it.  (To talk to a stranger on a plane...so out of character for me.  I felt like I was hugging him.) I found out how he downloaded music and how easy it was to access so many songs.  I looked down at my clunky disc player and the sleeve of CD's that I would carry around.  Out of the 250 CD''s that I owned, there were probably only 3 that I listened to all of the songs.  I had to get my hands on an Ipod.  (This is when Ching started thanking all I-devices because it was an easy Christmas gift.)

Over time the little brick of the original Ipod turns into the Nano. (Again, a gift from Ching.)  Not sure if he needed another gift idea or not but, he pressed upon the idea that I should get an Iphone.  Ridic!  The phone aspect sullying my lovely Ipod.  No thank you...But Ching gets so pissy about the phone issue.  I relented mainly because I want him to shut the hell up.  So I get the Iphone right after Rachel was born.

Sakes alive..my world expanded!  Screw the phone part...Internet on the fly, music, videos, kindle app,  blog notes, camera...I could go on and on.  But then it holds the parental device sent down from Heaven...download a game and your kid is happy for hours..on a plane, restaurant or any waiting scenario.  Laurel's faves are Battleship and Feed Me.  It is just a matter of time for Rachel.

This phone has been charged everyday AND on since I have owned it.  I know Ching wants to say, "I told you so" but he knows better.  But he can get in touch with me when he needs to and, holy crap, I can get in touch with him too.  (Who knew?)  No arguments...well until Laurel asks for one in a couple of years.

I thank you Steve Jobs, where ever you are.  There are a lot of jobs that could probably help the Wang marriage...little did I know that it was called a Steve Job(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment