Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It is just a matter of time until she is googling, "How to be a Nemesis to your Mother".


Buying the Ipad was my idea.  I looked at the purchase as a luxury...it was a toy that the Wangs clearly didn't need but I really wanted it.  When I refer to the Wangs, I am only referring to Ching and me.  For about a year, the Ipad was just ours but Laurel has taken hold of our luxury.

Every morning, one of her first questions: "Where is the Ipad?"  We had to establish a rule of "breakfast, dressed, teeth," before she could use it in the morning.  This is when the first issue started:  distraction.  This "toy" has slowed her routine down immensely.  She also seems to be hard of hearing too.

Second issue:  stickiness.  What in God's name is on her hands?  The screen is always so dirty and smudged.  (At least I hope it's her hands that are dirty and not Ching's.)

The current issue:  What the hell is she watching?  At the beginning, it was about educational apps, then a few games--you know, tilt the screen to drive a car or make and decorate several cupcakes.  But she has bypassed this.  Right now it's about You Tube.  She started watching Gangham Style while dancing.  (This annoying song ranks up there with "Who Let the Dogs Out?")  Appropriately, this video morphed into videos of Annoying Orange.  These are very weird parodies of popular songs being sung by an orange.  The piece of fruit has human eyes and mouth.  Being that Laurel jumps at her own shadow, I am surprised this doesn't freak her out.  The yellowish hue of the teeth (on the orange) makes me look away.

Now, Ching and I are wondering what these videos could prompt as the next video?  Weird could lead to sass, profanity or nudity.

(I know that is a stretch but a guy that I work with has a six year old niece that was recently busted for looking at pictures of penises on Google.  I know this is unavoidable to a certain point.  Kids are curious...I just don't want to go there yet.  And penises?  Really?  This poor little girl doesn't even know how much she is going to avoid them when she is married, early 40's.)

Currently Laurel can only use the Ipad when I am within earshot. And while I can use it as a bartering tool now, it will get worse.  Rachel is now using it--currently she likes Monkey Math and Easy Bake Oven but it is just a matter of time until she is googling, "How to be a Nemesis to your Mother".

Next time I get a luxury item, it will be for JCW only.

No comments:

Post a Comment