Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I was thinking about clapping my hands over my ears and screaming, "la-la-la-la-la".


Recently, Laurel, out of the blue, started to talk about being uncomfortable in a classroom setting.  Immediately, I wish that she was younger because she is entering a dynamic that wasn't present in pre-school.  Everyone got along, boys didn't have cooties and all girls were cool.  Whatever she is dealing with now is just going to get worse.  I was thinking about clapping my hands over my ears and screaming, "la-la-la-la-la".  But I don't.
LAW:  "I had to ask Kyle for help on a math problem."
JCW:  "Kyle?  That nice boy who won the Turkey Trot like you?  Went to the same camp?  He seems really kind." As opposed to the little jerk that laughed at your juice box for having Elmo on it.  "And his mother seems nice too."  Laurel, nice is code for normal.
LAW:  "Yeah.  He is nice but Naima said because I talked to him I must like him or be in love with him."
JCW:  Jes-us Christ!  And who is this Naima twerp?  She sounds like she needs to be kicked in the face.  "Because you asked a question?  That is a little crazy Laurel"  Stay calm, JCW.  "You know, I work with many men and I ask them questions.  I am not in love with them.  Did Kyle help you or did he feel uncomfortable too?"
LAW:  "Uh..yes, no...huh?"
JCW: Oh Christ, I just confused her.  "Laurel, was Kyle mad when you asked him for help?"
LAW: "No, but it was really uncomfortable."
JCW:  "When did this happen today?"
LAW:  "It didn't."
JCW:  "Last week?"
LAW: "No, it happened in November."
JCW:  "In November--is everything okay?"  Did I miss this?
LAW:  "Oh yeah, not a big deal.  Have you seen the Ipad?"
JCW:  "So glad that I could help."  I feel kind of manipulated and really confused.  I am grateful that I didn't slip and offer to buy her something during this conversation.  Laurel has not idea that she really could have milked this one.  Ching falls for this all the time and I have a reputation to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment