Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jude Carlson-Wang..funk, formality and balance from a little bit of Wang..perfect.


I had to look up a parent in the school directory.  I noticed a child in another class (not Laurel's) that has this craptastic hyphenated name that was 11 characters, then 8 characters..holy shit.  This girl has to write an 19 letters for her last name..obnoxious.  Then I feel like a hypocrite because if you look at my last name..it is hyphenated.  I used to scorn bitches who hyphenated their name.  I thought it was ridiculous..and then I did it. So, I fell the need to validate my name to my flock (apparently tonight, I feel like Jesus..let's go with it.)

When Ching and I got out marriage license in St Paul, MN, I was immediately told to choose my last name.  I thought I had more than a moment..not so much.  On the spot, I hyphenated my name to Carlson-Wang...for the following three reasons:
1.  Work..son of a bitch, a life decision comes down to work.  If I hyphenated my name rather than change it, I would be easier to find.  Type in "Carlson" in the e-mail database and up comes "Carlson-Wang".  I didn't think of the fact that there were people that I hoped would never find me.
2.  Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where Jerry thinks he has made a date (over the phone) with Donna Chang?  He meets her and she is Caucasian--she has shortened her name from Changstein to Chang.  He thought she would be an exotic, beautiful Asian woman.  He was disappointed.  Needless to say..with Jude Wang..I wanted to avoid that.  I am not exotic in the least..
3. Jude Wang?  Really?  It doesn't sound that good.  For the majority of my life, I loved being called "Jude" but hated the last name, "Carlson"..it didn't seem to match.  Funky..but formal..no, no, no..  With Jude Wang..it sounded funky but harsh..and like a Wang Chung song.  (If you don't know..just move on..I don't want to explain to the young people.)  Jude Carlson-Wang..funk, formality and balance from a little bit of Wang..perfect.

As I made the decision to be hyphenated, Ching made it clear that he wanted his kids to be all Wang.  (Inside, I giggled..because I am me and a little bit childish)  But I agreed.  I would never have a child saddled with a double decker name..this is mine only.  I am not militant about my name..if you want to call me Mrs. Wang..I am cool with that.

Cool with "All Wang..All the Time"..hope Laurel and Rachel feel the same..

No comments:

Post a Comment