Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 28, 2012

It sounds like one, studious..the other..loses her undies at parties. I would like to avoid that.


In the grand scheme of things..I thought I would have a daughter and then a son.  Yeah..that didn't happen.  When Laurel was born, I had 5 names picked..I used the top two for her (Laurel--because it is awesome and Alexa, my middle name.)  I had three names left JUST in case my second child was a girl.

Well..freak you Chinese birth chart..you were wrong!  (Obviously, they don't think of me as one of their peeps).  While the chart claimed I would have a boy based on my age and conception month..my second was a girl.

Immediately, I panicked.  I didn't have another name that I felt the same way as I felt for "Laurel".  My three other choices were craptastic..Eliza-Kate?  Hyphenated first name(?)--really?    Chloe??  I don't think so--that sounds like I hug people.  Meryn..not bad but just not right.

There were other names..but they just didn't seem right.  I loved the name Natasha.  But having one daughter named Laurel and the other Natasha?  It sounds like one, studious..the other..loses her undies at parties.  I would like to avoid that.

While I was thinking of names for my second daughter..Laurel piped in her suggestions:  Polly--apparently Laurel thought I was giving birth to a parrot.  Marina..first evidence of the freakin' Fresh Beat Band show..And then Rachel..Laurel was insistent on the name Rachel.

(Coincidentally, Ching mentioned Rachel one night..odd.)  But let's focus on my choices.  I thought of others:  Charlotte--nice but now seemed trendy.  Julia--I love saying this name and still do..  Juulliiiaaa...still love it..rhymes with Goulia.  (I work with a Julia--after reading this, she will avoid eye contact.)  As a dark horse, I suggested Chandler.  Ching told me that I must be on crack to think that he would agree to that.  Awesome...Chandler..not an option.

So the day before Rachel was born..it was down to Charlotte, Julia and Rachel.  Laurel was so convinced that her baby sister's name should be Rachel, that Ching and I quietly decide on that name because Laurel made such a nice choice.  But then there was her middle name?  Really there wasn't any other option.

When thinking about using a name from my family, I didn't have to consider Ching's family.  Apparently, the practice of naming a baby after anyone is bad..really bad.  It is considered stealing.  Whatever..more for me.

My daughter's middle name should be Jessica--to me it was a given but not mentioned.  (Soon to be Rachel's) aunt, my sister is very strong, smart and funny--snarky funny..not that crap, silly funny.  My girl that I would know as Rachel Ru would love her Aunt Jess.  It seemed too simple for the written word.  Ching didn't need convincing either.  This was a woman who put him under a microscope for several years.  My favorite moment was Ching stumbling about my middle name back when we were dating and Jess seeing a moment of weakness.  Sprinting upstairs (so fast, I think she tripped)..yelling "Ching doesn't even know Jude's middle name.."  This was better than a mystery box, wrapped under the Christmas tree.  This made Ching laugh too.   Regardless..he knew his daughter's middle name should be her aunt's..

Rachel was born very early in the morning.  Ironically Rachel's Aunt Jess is a morning person too.  I waited until 6:30 to make the call.  Telling my younger sister that my daughter's name was Rachel Jessica was the most unexpected,  joyous moments of my life.  When I named my daughter, I didn't even think about the reaction.

"What did you name her?"
"Oh..her name is Rachel..Rachel Jessica Wang."
"Really??"  (At an octave that I had never heard, I could hear her hands clasp in delight and see her smile.)
"Of course.."




No comments:

Post a Comment