Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Since when is this God damn dinner a continental breakfast?


Have you ever been at work and just dreamed about a certain food?  (If not, just move on...and absolutely not, am I pregnant.)  This happened to me recently and I was obsessed about making the best split pea soup with ham.  I can't make it as a work day dinner...because the soup won't steep enough, so I had to wait for the weekend.  But the wait was well worth it.  During the week, I researched recipes and bought good ingredients.  (Not that spiral honey of a ham crap...just a good ham with a solid bone to make a good soup.)  I am going to make the best soup in the world.

I tell Ching what I am making for dinner on this Saturday.  While there are many a meal when I ask "what would you like" and he says "whatever", this dinner is different.  He is going to eat what I put in front of him.  This dinner is hot, homemade and delicious. (I also tell him that there will be salad and a crusty bread.)

While his dinner is served, our home is filled with aromatic goodness.  But then this happens:
L:  "Why is the soup green?"
C:  "It is called split pea soup."  His enthusiasm absolutely sucks
Laurel can't tell if we are making a gross green soup from a vegetable or using our own pee.  Whatever Laurel...obviously this is the vegetable.  Keep quiet and eat your bland spaghetti.

Then Rachel won't eat the ham.  She will eat pork chops, pork loin and spareribs, but no ham!  She just wants yogurt, fruit and that crusty bread thick with butter.  Since when is this God damn dinner a continental breakfast?

Now Laurel asks for a different fruit, the bread that Rachel has, and needs shaky cheese for her pasta.

(Oh crap...drinks!  Of course not real ones...Laurel gets juice (a veggie fruit blend) and Rachel wants milk.  I toss some ice in a glass for Ching and that 2 liter bottle of Fresca.)

I look over and Ching is INHALING his salad and not in the good way.  He is eating so fast, trying to avoid both the taste and actually having the lettuce touch his lips.

Oh God...the girls want more fruit.  I have to barter with Laurel to eat more pasta prior to more fruit.  Rachel still won't eat the ham.

JCW:  Ching, how is the soup?
CCW:  It's good.  I wasn't looking for "good".  Next, the salad will be "nice".
JCW:  And the salad?
CCW:  Jude...I finished my salad.

Laurel wants to be excused. I have to coerce her to eat more food.
Rachel, following her sister, wants to be excused.
Ching is done...he will take the girls.

And I sit down to enjoy my soup...the soup I have waited all week to eat.  It tastes great and the vegetables are perfectly cooked.  Perhaps it's needs more pepper but the best ingredient is that I am eating my soup in peace...the best ingredient of all...and a glass of wine.

(This is my blog's birthday---1 year.  I will write more later about that.  Thank you for reading.)

No comments:

Post a Comment