Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Recently I was talking to a co-worker's child over the holidays while I was sitting at my desk. I almost said the f-bomb three times and let it slip that there was no tooth fairy.

Very rarely do I speak of work on my blog.  I don't like to intertwine the two worlds of working (outside the home) and being a mother.

I have spoken about this before--I am a totally different person when I am at work compared to being at home.  I actually don't like bringing the girls into my place of work.  (Ching lives for that shit--showing people how cute and behaved the girls are.)  Laurel has only been at my office once over the last five years and she begged to come in to see my office.  Ching has an office; I don't.  I hope she was impressed by the fact that my cubicle is by a window.  I made her sit at my desk and eat her choice lunch of pizza, Doritos, yogurt and chocolate milk.  If anyone wanted to say hello to Laurel, they could but I wasn't going to walk her around.

Part of me doesn't want people to see JCW as Mama Wang, the other is I don't want to be disruptive.  If people wanted to hang out kids during their work day and they had kids, I would bet they would choose their kids over mine.  But mainly, I am JCW at work and it's very hard to get out of that mode even when Laurel is right next to me.  Recently I was talking to a co-worker's child over the holidays while I was sitting at my desk.  I almost said the f-bomb three times and let it slip that there was no tooth fairy.

But this week, with extensive work meetings and events, I thought about Laurel and Rachel often.  I thought of them when I heard creative names and was thankful that I didn't stray into the "creative" when I named them (even though Laurel thinks her name is uncool).  I think of them when I see pictures of a child and I am convinced that I have the most beautiful children.  I am thankful that I can use them as excuses to leave early but I do have to chuckle when I am home with them and want to be at the event.

I was able to perfect the 30 second "elevator speech" of how the girls are doing so well that perhaps that it sounded like I rented them as opposed to raising them.

But no matter how long the meetings were, I was so grateful to see them at the end of the day.  Not going to lie, I was also grateful that they were asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment