Total Pageviews

Friday, January 3, 2014

It took me 40 minutes to send one e-mail out this afternoon because I had to monitor several battles of she said, she said.

Yesterday with the news of the impending blizzard, I really dreaded the possibility of Friday.  I would be home with the girls because they would have no school.  The weather guy was right and we got a shitload of snow.  Both Ching and I were home but I wish I was at work.  I absolutely hate snow days.

I stayed home for two reasons--first the girls are home because there is no school.  At least one adult needs to be home because it's not like they are cats.  I just can't leave the t.v. on with a pile of food.  Secondly, we live in a cul-de-sac.  Our street is the very last street to be plowed in Newton--first the major roads, then side streets, maybe a dead end, then the cul-de-sacs.  While our driveway was shoveled, we couldn't get to a major road.  So as I have childless co-workers that live within walking distance to work, they are cursing under their frozen breath thinking that I am sitting at home.

But this isn't a vacation day.  I bring my computer home with me hoping to get some work done. Conference calls are not good to have at home.  Even with the door closed, Rachel presses herself at the bottom of the door yelling, "Mommy, can you hear me?  Are you in there?"  Any respect that I had prior to the call, is now gone.  Trying to get e-mails sent is no better.  It took me 40 minutes to send one e-mail out this afternoon because I had to monitor several battles of she said, she said.
                       "Mom, she took my toy!"
                       "She won't play with me!"
                       "Rachel touched me!"
                       "She is looking at me!"
                       "She just breathed on me!"
(I truly wanted to run away.  Even if it was 6 degrees out.)

I have a split personality during snow days, not like a weekend day when I am just a mom.  Today, as I jump off of two conference calls where I participated very little, I then went downstairs to make everyone lunch and God for freakin' bid if everyone wanted the same thing.  After a clean up, I then go back to my work role at the dining room table.  (Ching and I have an unspoken rule--we are both on our laptops in the dining room.  You can only get solace of the den if you have a conference call.  And today, when I thought Ching's conference call was running too long, you can bet for damn sure that my ear was pressed up against the door making sure ESPN wasn't on.)

I also want to be a work so I don't have to look at the house.  It is an absolute mess.  There is a pile of soggy winter gear in front of the door.  That's right, not to the side of the door...right in front. (The girls were able to stand the cold for about 20 minutes).  Toys are scattered everywhere.  And there are plastic sippy cups/juice cups all over like we had a party the night before.  Snack wrappers, sheets of paper with a random scribble, socks...God I want to be at work.  It didn't help that today is Friday--the Wang household isn't the neatest on a Friday as it would be on a Monday.

Monday...probably the first Friday in a long time that has me looking forward to Monday.  (As I quickly check the weather forecast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment